The Department’s research work is structured along Lines of research, with available resources concentrated around these. The Lines of research represent a combination of distinct skills within complex fields, capitalising on the multidisciplinary environment that characterises the Department.
This structure enables the department to formalise and map out a chart of available skills and experience and to build a knowledge base with the results of studies and research and active networks that can be shared and disseminated.
The eight Lines of research which form the structured, themed platform of the department’s multidisciplinary skills and experience are:
1. Advanced materials and Innovative Building Systems
2. Energy and Environmental-Efficient Buildings
3. Risk Prevention and Emergency Management
4. Architectural and Urban Design
5. Complex Constructions
6. Preservation and Enhancement of Built Heritage
7. ICT and “smart” systems for construction
8. Economy and built environment management